Benzodiazepines like clonazepam are prescribed by doctors to their patients using the retail brand names Rivotril in South Africa.
Benzodiazepines like clonazepam are used for treating:
- Anti-anxiety & panic
- Chronic Sleep Disorders
- Heavenly Blues
- Valley Girl
These medications such as Rivotril work on the nervous system producing sedation & relaxing & lowered anxiety levels in patients. Despite the many helpful uses of clonazepam it can cause psychological & physical addiction issues.
As much as two thousand distinct variations of medications are classed as benzodiazepines & are defined in in how quickly they work on patients.
- Clorazepate and diazepam are fast-acting and work 60 minutes after they are administered.
- Oxazepam, lorazepam, alprazolam, and clonazepam have intermediate onsets of action.
- Midazolam, triazolam, & clorazepate are shorter-acting agents with length of action of 3 – 8 hours.
- Temazepam, estazolam, lorazepam, and alprazolam are medium-term acting agents with durations of action lasts over 11 hours.
- Chlordiazepoxide, flurazepam, diazepam, clonazepam, and quazepam have extended agents with the duration of the drug of being 1 to 3 days.
Other reasons why clonazepam is prescribed.
Anti-anxiety, bi-polar disorder, cervical dystonia, depression, premedication, lennox-gastaut syndrome, meniere’s disease, chemotherapy induced, opiate withdrawal, sleep paralysis, tetanus.
Important information about Rivotril (clonazepam)
Prescribed patients should never use clonazepam if they suffer from narrow-angle glaucoma, itraconazole or ketoconazole, or if they are allergic to clonazepam or similar medicines (Rivotril and others).
Clonazepam Addiction Treatment: Things You Ought to Know
Rivotril is prescription ONLY medication
- When being pregnant this drug can contribute to birth defects or life-threatening withdrawal symptoms in a newborn
- Avoid alcohol when using clonazepam
- Keep the clonazepam meds in a secure place where others cannot find it
- It is risky to purchase clonazepam online
- It is dangerous to use clonazepam if you have kidney or liver disease (specifically alcohol related liver disease)
Inform your prescribing doctor should you have:
- Epilepsy or seizures
- Kidney or liver disease (in particular if if alcohol or drug related)
- Asthma or other breathing related disorder
- A history of depression or suicidal thoughts or similar behavior
- History of alcohol or drug addiction issues
- Should you additionally take other opioid medications.
While clonazepam can cause several side-effects although not everyone experiences them. Read more about prescription drug addiction here. Should you need assistance with a prescription medication addiction Relapse Prevention maintains a list of Southern Africa’s private drug & alcohol rehabilitation clinics.